13 October 2012

Great Volunteer Websites

Image courtesy of stockimages/freedigitalphotos.net

Things have been quite busy recently, with two volunteers doing excellent projects for CHW! One has been making a video for the charity and the other is redesigning our website. We are hoping to launch the new site, along with the video, very soon. I will post updates here! Every spare moment I have been updating content and photos for the new site, which has kept me away from this blog for a couple of weeks. A lot of people do ask me about volunteering, so I thought I would pass on some links here, in keeping with the fact that two amazing volunteers have been working on projects for us recently!

Some of the links are for people already involved in voluntary work. I wrote another post here, for those interested in searching for volunteer opportunities.

My focus is always on children and youth, but the links below are relevant for people who want to volunteer in other fields too.


Global Service Leaders
Network: meridianserviceleaders.ning.com
Facebook page: facebook.com/GlobalServiceLeaders

Who is this for?
People involved in service work, and with organisations that have volunteers, and who would like to connect with other people engaged in service work around the world.

I am a member of the network and it has been great to connect with (and even meet) others running organisations and doing service work in different countries.


The Blogunteer
Website: blogunteer.com

Who is this for?
People interested in volunteering and charities. Organisations (mostly from the US), which are not too well known, but are doing excellent work, are profiled here.

I found this blog through Pinterest and thought it was a great idea.


KnowHow NonProfit
Website: knowhownonprofit.org

Who is this for?
People who are volunteers, trustees or staff of nonprofit organisations. The site is aimed at people in the UK, but others may also find useful tips here.

I have signed up to this site and received useful newsletters from them.


The Bridge - Youth Empowerment
Website (Volunteer Page): thebridgeye.org/category/internships-volunteering/volunteering
Facebook page: facebook.com/thebridgeye

Who is this for?
Young people who want to volunteer. Opportunities are listed on the volunteer page. Other pages also contain information on jobs, internships, fellowships, events and scholarships around the world for youth.

I found this organisation on facebook, and they listed an event of mine when I was volunteering on sustainable development projects, leading up to the Rio+20 conference.


Do you know any more good sites for volunteers, or finding volunteer opportunities? If you do, please add them in a comment below.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for including my blog in your post! I am glad you found it and that you like it! I am based in the United States, but I have profiled organizations around the world. I am open to suggestions as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! It is great that you profile so many different organisations. I will definitely keep following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for linking to the KnowHow NonProfit website, Catherine! We will hopefully have more content on volunteering (including volunteering management) in the future.

    By the way: did you know that anybody can edit the KnowHow HowTo guides? So if you are an expert on, say, volunteering for kids' welfare organisaions feel free to write a simple step by step How to guide(or edit an existing guide).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I find your site very useful.

      I didn't know about editing the KnowHow HowTo guides and will check that out. That is really good that everyone can contribute!

      Delete